Eye spy a big problem: California doctor removes 23 contact lenses from one woman’s eye
An ophthalmologist in California revealed that an elderly patient who came with complaints of blurry vision was actually 23 disposable patients. The contact lenses are fixed in her eye.
Dr. Katrina Corteva, an ophthalmologist at California Eye Associates, said: Newport Beach, Californiafor Fox News Digital.
“That’s when I grabbed my technician to photograph what was left of the UFO,” she said.
“I had no idea what was coming to me,” the doctor said, “I have been in practice for 19 years and this is the first time I have had a condition like this.”
Kurteeva regularly shares eye health news, photos and videos on her Instagram account, California_Eye_Associates.
Noting that there was a case reported a few years ago to remove multiple contact lenses from one eye, she said: “My unique case is that we were able to capture the removal on video as it happened in a completely unexpected way.”
In fact, 27 lenses were removed from an elderly patient’s eye while she was preparing for cataract surgery in the UK in 2017, according to Optometry Today reported at the time.
Kurteeva took a video of her lens removal because she thought it might help educate the patient.
“It took me years to become an ophthalmologist and I consider it a privilege to practice in this field,” she said.
“If this encounter inspires young people to choose ophthalmology as their profession, the world will be a better place for them,” she added.
“Most people will notice a blurring of their vision when two or more contacts are stacked together.”
She said removing 23 lenses was “curative and not dangerous”. “The patient has not felt any pain since I treated her with an anesthetic drop.”
Kurteeva also spoke about the potential risks of retained contact lenses in the eye.
The biggest concern, she said, is “a serious infection with a bacterium called Pseudomonas aurigenosa.”
These bacteria love [the] A warm, moist environment for the surface of the eye that can stick to it [the] Contact lenses then travel to the cornea – the clear window of the eye.”
“Within 24 hours it can cause a deep ulcer in the cornea and lead to severe vision loss.”
Noting that it was “uncommon” to have multiple contact lenses in place simultaneously, Corteva said that could happen if “a person forgot to remove a contact from the eye the night before.”
The new contact can be placed [the] “Most people will notice a blurring of their vision when two or more contact lenses are stacked together,” she explained.
When you first wear contact lenses, make sure you have the proper training in the doctor’s office.
A Connecticut woman who has been wearing contact lenses for more than 30 years told Fox News Digital that there had been “many times” she had put one contact lens over another in the same eye.
“You can usually tell right away that you did, because your vision is blurry,” she said.
“I remember once, though, going all the way to work and knowing something was wrong, and I pulled two lenses out of one eye. It really made me wonder about myself—and how busy I was at the time,” he added.
She also said, “You know you have a lot on your plate when you have two contacts in one eye.”
Dr. Kurteeva offered the following Safety Tips For all contact lens wearers.
1. Never sleep with contact lenses in your eyes.
2. Remove your contact lenses every night at the end of the day before brushing your teeth. Combine your dental care with eye care to establish good routines.
3. Wash your hands before handling contact lenses.
4. For prolonged use contact lenses, use the appropriate container and contact lens solution. Using hydrogen-based solutions such as Clear Care is the most effective way to remove protein buildup; However, this requires a minimum of six hours “spin time” – meaning the time the lenses must be soaked in solution.
5. If you’re wearing contact lenses for the first time, be sure to get proper training in your doctor’s office.
6. See your eye doctor if you wear contact lenses and your eyes become red or irritated for more than a day – this could be a sign of infection.