How to choose the right Halloween candy
Practical tips for choosing Halloween candy
ROSEVILLE, CA – Halloween is coming soon. It’s a fun-filled holiday that kids really enjoy, especially after walking around their neighborhood trick or treatThen they arrive home to cherish a large assortment of sweets.
But dental practitioners are not so fond of Halloween, because they know the potential consequences of eating candy. It can cause damage to the teeth and gums and possibly harm the child’s general health.
Having healthy teeth and gums has an effect beyond the mouth. Poor oral hygiene can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, and infection, which can affect a patient’s heart, lungs, and entire body.
5 tips from Western Dental
- Choose sweets carefully: Try to avoid hard candy, such as lollipops, and other sweets that stay in the mouth for a long time. This candy increases the risk of tooth decay.
- Avoid chewy candy: Sticky and chewy foods – such as caramel or chewing gum – are especially harmful because they are high in sugar. These candies can spend a long time stuck to the teeth and the saliva is difficult to break down.
- Chocolate preferred: Chocolate melts quickly in the mouth and is easily eaten, reducing the time the sugar stays in contact with the teeth.
- Eat Halloween candy only after meal time: Parents should avoid allowing their children to snack on sweets throughout the day. It increases saliva production during meals, helps get rid of acids produced by bacteria in your mouth, and helps rinse out food particles.
- Take preventive steps: Drinking water intermittently helps prevent sugar from resting in the cavities. Brushing and flossing well before bed is crucial when eating any kind of dessert.