Louisiana: Clostridium Botulinum type C was found in alfalfa hay cubes tied to the death of some 20 horses
news desk Laugh
In a follow-up report Poisoning of horses Cases in Louisiana and several other states The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF), in collaboration with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the California Laboratory of Animal Health and Food Safety (CAHFS), have confirmed the presence of Clostridium botulinum type C. In cubes of alfalfa resulted in the deaths of at least 20 horses in Louisiana.
This incident, which developed into a multi-state vegan epidemic of equine food poisoning linked to the same cubes of alfalfa hay, has been linked to at least 28 similar horse deaths in New Mexico, Texas and Colorado, with many more horses developing clinical illnesses. .
The Food and Drug Administration launched its investigation, in collaboration with state departments, after reports that horses in Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico and Texas displayed neurological symptoms consistent with food poisoning. During the LDAF investigation, LDAF investigators received information about possible adulteration of alfalfa cubes with animal remains. LDAF investigators later confirmed the presence of animal remains in an unopened 50-pound bag of “Top of the Rockies Alfalfa Horse Cubes” (Lot #111422), produced by Manzanola Feeds LLC, a Manzanola-based feed manufacturer, CO. This result indicated that these materials from an animal or animal may have been incorporated into the cubes during the alfalfa harvest. Clostridium botulinumIt is the bacteria that causes food poisoning, and is commonly found in decomposing animal carcasses.
As a result of this ongoing investigation, Manzanola Feeds has recalled Top of the Rockies alfalfa cubes with date codes 111222, 111322, 111422, 111522, and 111622. If you have Top of the Rockies alfalfa cubes with these date codes, you can confirm the date code of the products that have it, and dispose of it in a safe container and follow provided handling and cleaning instructions here
Equine food poisoning is a condition caused by the bacterial toxins it produces Clostridium botulinum. In this incident, the condition was likely caused by direct ingestion of a toxin produced by plant bacteria through contamination of alfalfa hay cubes.
Consult a veterinarian immediately if your horse has ingested this product and shows signs of neurological disease, such as muscle twitching, difficulty eating or swallowing, difficulty standing, or collapse.