Nevada: Clark County resident dies from Naegleria fowleri, May be linked to Lake Mead
news desk Lord save her
Officials in the Southern Nevada Health District have reported the death of a Clark County resident from a brain-eating amoeba, Engelria Follieri. The patient was a male under the age of 18 years.
Based on the health official’s investigation, the person may have had exposure in Lake Mead on the Arizona side of the lake at the beginning of October and started showing symptoms about a week later.
“While I would like to reassure the public that this type of infection is extremely rare, I know this does not bring relief to his family and friends at this time,” said Dr.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notified the health district Nigeria Follieri The cause of the patient’s illness was confirmed. Infection with the amoeba causes primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a brain infection that initially includes headache, fever, nausea, or vomiting and progresses to stiff neck, seizures, and coma that can lead to death. Symptoms usually begin about five days after infection but can begin within one to 12 days. Once symptoms start, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within five days.
Nigeria Follieri They are commonly found in warm fresh water bodies, such as lakes and rivers, and geothermal waters, such as hot springs. The amoeba infects people by entering the body through the nose and traveling to the brain. It cannot infect people if swallowed and is not transmitted from person to person. The infection is extremely rare, and is often fatal.
Recommended precautions from the CDC include:
- Avoid jumping or diving in warm fresh water bodies, especially during the summer.
- Close your nose, use nose clips, or keep your head above water when in bodies of fresh, warm water.
- Avoid putting your head underwater in hot springs and other untreated groundwater.
- Avoid digging or stirring sediments in warm, shallow fresh water.