Norway: Echinococcus canadensis detected in moose, 1st time in country
The sample was taken from an adult moose in good condition. There were no abnormal findings in slit, except for a number of fluid-filled blisters in the lungs. The sample from the game abattoir was submitted in connection with a normal slaughter check to the Norwegian Food Safety Authority.
The veterinary institute analyzed the samples and confirmed the diagnosis. The parasite’s final write-up showed that it is Echinococcus g10 (parasite inside E. granuloma sensory lato a group ).
First moose case in Norway
There are several different species in the parasite genus Echinococcus The most famous of them is the dwarf fox ( E. multilocularis ), which is a different parasite than that found on moose indoors.
Echinococcus It is a parasite that has dogs as the definitive host and other animal species (including humans) as the intermediate host. In the definitive host, it lives in the intestine and produces large quantities of eggs that are transmitted in the faeces, without the definitive host showing symptoms of disease.
If the eggs are ingested by an intermediate host, fluid-filled blisters can develop in other tissues, for example the lungs (for E. granulosus sensu lato) or the liver (for E. granulosus sensu lato). E. multilocularis) . Dogs become infected by eating intermediate hosts with blisters on their meat or organs.
Infection can only be transmitted between the definitive host and the intermediate host, that is, two intermediate hosts such as moose and humans cannot infect each other.
E. canadensis G10 It had not been discovered in Norway before, but it should have been discovered in Sweden and Finland. Then the moose was primarily an intermediate host and the wolf as a definitive host. In Finland, there was also a human case.
E. granule Of unknown genotype it was common on reindeer in northern Norway in the 1950s. Systematic treatment of herding dogs and restrictions on feeding raw meat and offal reduced the incidence of this parasite. The last detections were in 1990 and 2003.
Echinococcus It can infect humans, but the Institute of Public Health finds that there is a very low risk of infection in this condition.
Because dogs can be the ultimate host to Echinococcus , they should not be given raw offal from the cervix (elk, deer, roe deer, fallow deer, reindeer). If the dog becomes infected, it can be treated with medication against the parasite.
Poachers are required to report to the Norwegian Food Safety Authority
In Norway, echinococcosis (E. multilocularis and E. granulosus) in animals is a national List 2 disease, formerly called disease B, that must be notified.
If the disease is detected after it was discovered in the slaughterhouse, the carcass and slaughter offal will be destroyed. No more measures needed.
The Norwegian Food Authority encourages all large game hunters to report to the Norwegian Food Authority if they discover fluid-filled blisters on deer meat or in its internal organs.