Roseville PD Safety Tips: Keep online purchases safe this holiday season
Practical tips for a pleasant holiday shopping experience
ROSEVILLE, Calif. – Yes, this wonderful time of year is fast approaching and we’re sure many of you can’t wait to get clicking online, or don your virtual elbow pads to hunt for bargains at the mall.
While we all hope for a pleasant shopping experience during the holidays, we know that there are criminals out there with a clear desire to spoil your fun. Just as we find more advanced ways to catch criminals, they come up with new ways to steal your hard earned money. But… there are precautions you can take that will help you become a victim.
While shopping online:
- Create strong passwords that are hard to guess. Include numbers, uppercase letters, and special characters such as !? &a. Don’t use the same password for all of your logins and if you have to write it down to remember it, keep the list locked away somewhere in the house.
- Only shop and pay at reputable sites that have a URL starting with https://.
- Never use a debit card to shop online. Credit cards have more added protection.
- Verify the source of the emails really. If you click on the sender’s name, you’ll often see that the email isn’t actually from Target, Walmart, or Amazon.
- Avoid opening emails that say you’ve won a prize. You do not have. Never click to open a file from someone you don’t know. It could contain a virus that takes control of your computer and sends all your private data to a criminal.
Protect these packages:
- Once you order items, make sure they are not stolen before they are made inside your home.
- Track your parcels and encourage them to be placed in a hidden area.
- If you’ll be out of town, don’t order items to sit on your front steps, have them delivered to a trusted neighbor or use a service like Amazon locker.
- If you are away from home for an extended period of time, ask USPS to hold your mail.
If you believe you have been the victim of package or mail theft, file a report on the Roseville Police Department website: www.roseville.ca.us
Whether you are shopping in stores or online, it is really important to frequently check your bank accounts and credit card accounts. If something appears in your account that you are not aware of, immediately contact your bank or card issuer.
If you are diligent about following the tips above, the worst thing that will happen this holiday season is that you will receive two pairs of the same socks. happy vacation!